My Blog List

Beauty, Lifestyle, Style & Food

Friday 18 September 2015

Hello September: Part 1

My First Festival

Most people love festivals. You're considered crazy if you don't. I'd never been to one until this month, but I decided (slightly reluctantly) that now would be a good time to give it a go. I chose to go to Bestival, on the Isle of Wight at the start of September with Oxfam (link here).
I thought this would be a great way to experience it because I got to go for free - I stewarded for Oxfam at the festival. Bestival may not have been the easiest choice considering it included a ferry but I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts.


Stewarding- If you decide to steward for Oxfam, you work for a total of 24 hours at the festival (split into 3 shifts of 8 hours). I'm not going to lie, these shifts were difficult! Especially the 12am - 8am shift. But I can kinda see why people think it's worth stewarding. You're donating your time and money to a great cause, and can enjoy some extra privileges at the festival like a private campsite, better toilets and showers. The only major downside other than the length of the shifts is that you don't get to choose them. So depending on how lucky the draw is, you might be stood on the outside of the festival manning a gate for 8 hours (but you can switch shifts if you manage to find one that suits you better, and someone who's willing to switch).


Tips & Tricks- Even though the festival season has come to an end this year, I still thought I'd share a few of the things I learned ready for next year...
  • Embrace the wellies - I only wore wellies whilst I was at the festival, and this made my life so much easier. I personally wouldn't bother with trainers or any other shoes because chances are, they're going to get ruined.
  • The bigger the better - I went with 1 other friend, and although it was still fun I personally think a bigger group will always have a better time. So try to get as many people involved as possible.
  • Picking your tent is crucial - Although there were only 2 of us, we had a 6-man tent. It was definitely a luxury whilst we were there but a pain to carry home (especially since we were using public transport). If I was going to go again next year I'd take my own 2-man tent and leave it at the festival so that I wouldn't have to carry it back. Lazy, I know! If you're definitely going to a festival next year, consider picking up a small tent in the sales now that the season's ended.
  • Explore everything the festival has to offer - Had I not been stewarding at the Ampitheatre at Bestival I would've never considered checking it out. But at random I managed to watch one of the funniest comedy sketches I think I've ever seen by the BEASTS (link here & here). Try to explore as much as you can in the limited time you've got because you might stumble across some treasures.
  • Glitz & Glamour - Take as much glitter and out-of-this-world crazy make-up as you can! If I was to go again I'd also take a colourful wig - this would be so much fun and look great but it can also hide your not so fresh hair towards the end of the festival.
  • Take as many photos as you possibly can - I don't just mean on your iPhone either. A disposable camera or small digital camera would be great for a festival and won't break the bank either. The photos will be nice originals with great memories and a great feel, nothing to modern and no editing.

I never considered myself a festival goer and I definitely never thought I'd do it again after how stressed I got the first time. But if someone asked me if I'd go to a festival with them next year, I'll admit I'd feel very inclined to say yes!

Bestival 2015 - Missy Elliot



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Muddled Mojito

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig