My Blog List

Beauty, Lifestyle, Style & Food

Wednesday 2 September 2015

My University Tips & Tricks


Bournemouth Beach Sunset
I'm starting my second year at university and I thought I'd share some of the things I've learnt in my first year. Firstly I will say that my university is an Arts University - meaning I don't have any exams, I'm assessed continuously over the 3 years. Personally I prefer this approach, I've never been great at exams and always felt overshadowed by A* grade friends.


My course is a 3 year BA(Hons) and the first year doesn't count towards my final mark so it's kinda like a taster year where you can settle in and find your feet. I switched courses a few weeks into my first year and now I feel so much happier with the choice I made.

So, here are my top tips. I hope you guys find them useful...


  • Make the most of the extra services the university offers, e.g. Student Services - wellbeing and counselling. These are great if you need a little advice or support whilst making the transition into uni-life.
  • Move in as early as you can - I decided to move in to my halls at the latest date that I could meaning I missed most of freshers and the opportunity to meet new people and make friends. Freshers is the perfect place to make friends - everyone is in the same boat. Also, I always find that I meet and talk to more people when I'm on a night out; nerves subside and it's so much easier to start a conversation.
  • Don't let homesickness ruin your first few weeks - everyone feels homesick at some point and it lasts for various amounts of time. I felt very homesick in the first few weeks and even thought about leaving but after I settled in it all subsided. On the other hand some friends of mine settled in well but as the year went on they started to feel more homesick, and started to struggle. It's different for everyone but with time it will pass.
  • Don't let the idea of university put unnecessary pressure on you - university is great and I love it. It's a huge learning curve and teaches you so many valuable lessons outside of lectures. But university isn't for everyone, so don't feel pressured into going. If your course doesn't feel quite right, don't stress - what will be will be. I'd advise you to use all the student services available - they will help you make some important decisions. You should try to consider all options, including switching courses - most universities will be more than willing to help you with this. (If university still doesn't feel right for you there's no harm in taking a year or maybe more to figure out what it is that you want.)
  • Make the most of your first year - I'm pretty sure in most universities your first year isn't as crucial as your 2nd or 3rd. The first year is great for having a bit of fun, but don't forget to work hard at your course either. I think that the first year is the best of all three - there's slightly less pressure on you so make the most of it.
I hope you find these helpful and if you want anymore tips, leave it in the comments below.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Muddled Mojito

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig