My Blog List

Beauty, Lifestyle, Style & Food

Thursday 23 June 2016

NYX Glosses


When I think of lip gloss, memories come flooding back of me as a kid layering it on like there was no tomorrow. But since then I’ve strayed away and haven’t worn it in years. Since discovering MAC lipsticks I’ve stayed true and haven’t bothered layering gloss on top. Nowadays, when I’m wearing a full face of makeup or even just the bare basics I tend to stick to lip balm – I can’t really be bothered with the lipstick upkeep throughout the day. Now that lipstick is proving to be a bit too high-maintenance, I thought why not dabble in the lip gloss department again.

Granted, the lip gloss scene has improved considerably since I was a kid, no more Claire’s Accessories. The NYX Butter Glosses are especially popular, as well as the Intense Butter Glosses and after a bit of research I picked up a few online at Asos. The Butter Glosses are known for their non-sticky formulas and very glossy finish, whereas the Intense Butter Glosses have a slightly stickier formula but much more colour pay-off. Although the formula is slightly stickier, it’s a compromise in order to get the bold colour.

I found Kathleen Light’s Lip Swatch video handy when deciding which shades to choose, as well as Emily Fox’s Swatch video.

(L-R: Praline, Madeleine, Tiramisu, Creme Brulee)
The shades I picked up in the original Butter Gloss were Crème Brulee, Tiramisu, Madeleine and Praline. Crème Brulee is a pale pink, nude shade – very natural and great for everyday. Tiramisu is a slightly darker nude-pink shade with a slight mauve undertone – I think this could be compared to a slightly lighter MAC Whirl shade, would look lovely layered on top. Madeleine is probably my favourite shade, it’s a beige nude and is universally flattering. Praline is the final Butter Gloss shade I picked up and it’s the darkest, a nude-brown shade.

(L-R: Tres Leches & Cookie Butter)
The Intense Butter Glosses are a much more pigmented formula and pack more of a punch when it comes to colour. There is a smaller selection of shades than the original range, and although there are four or five nudes in the range there are also a lot of darker shades. The first shade I picked up was Tres Leches, the first nude to catch my eye. I went for Tres Leches because it's the light pink-nude shade in the range. The second shade is Cookie Butter, the lightest shade in the range – this might not be to everyone’s taste. It’s a very light nude-beige, and can be a bit difficult to wear. Because it’s a lighter shade it can be difficult to apply and comes out slightly streaky when first applied but it’s nothing a little blotting can’t sort out.


Overall I’m really impressed with the NYX glosses and I’ll definitely be picking up more. Next I want to get my hands on the Intense Butter glosses in Peanut Brittle and Cinnamon Roll, and possible Orangesicle if I’m feeling brave. As for the original formula, Ginger Snap, Sunday Mimosa and Fortune Cookie look good.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Muddled Mojito

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig